"DESIGNS THAT REFLECT OUR
AMERICAN HERITAGE"

Welcome to my blog. I'm probably very much like all of you who love the needlearts. My life revolves around family, friends, home and all things that help to make for a more contented life. When time allows; cooking, gardening, decorating, and collecting are my joys. I look forward to sharing all of these things with you. I also hope to keep you up to date on what is going on at Homespun Elegance, in regard to the needlework designs and the "Plain & Fancy Wares" that we offer.

Wishing you "Many Happy Stitches".
Sandra

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tasty Treat

Good Evening All!
This has nothing to do with needlework, but
I just had to share a great appetizer recipe
that I fixed for Super Bowl Sunday.  I might
add that I did more eating than watching
the game.  There was a bunch of great
food at the gathering of our friends.  If you like 
cheese, sweet, and a little heat this the the treat 
for you.  It is an old fashioned recipe that lots of
people have been serving in the Fredericksburg area
 for a really long time.  I think it fell out of favor for 
while, but it is back.
The reason for the big platter is to serve
crackers to go with it.  I use a simple wheat cracker 
because you do not want anything to add to the 
flavors of the spread.  You simply spread a little
of the yummy cheese mixture on your cracker 
and then a little of the strawberry preserves. 
 I know it sounds odd, but it is a 
fantastic combination.
xxxxxxxxxx
PLAINS CHEESE RING
--1 lb grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
(I grate my own, it is so much better.  I
think the shredded stuff is too dry.)
--1 cup mayonnaise (I use light)
--Black pepper to taste
--1 cup chopped nuts
(I use pecans and I toast them)
--1 small onion finely diced
--Dash of cayenne
--Strawberry preserves
--Small wheat crackers
Chop and toast your nuts.   
Shred the cheese when it is still cold.
 Dice the onion. Mix together everything but
 the pepper and cayenne.  Mix your pepper 
and cayenne together.  Sprinkle it evenly over 
everything.  Mix all ingredients again.  Select
 a small bowl to hold your preserves.
Place it on your serving piece and
mound the cheese mixture around
your bowl, shaping it into a ring.
I like to put my preserves in a little dish
instead of in the center of the ring.  I
do this in case there is any cheese left,
it can be refrigerated or even frozen
for a later date.  The preserves makes
it messy.  I have also done this for wedding 
showers, engagement parties, etc.  I then shape 
it as a heart and put the preserves in the center.
One day I'll find a little heart shaped dish
to use.  Men and women like this, but you might
have to give a little tutorial at your party.
They don't know what to do with the
preserves.
I hope you like it. I'm going to take some
to the Nashville trade show to munch on.
We'll need a little sustenance to survive.
Many Happy Stitches,
Sandra

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good.

    I don't think pre-pack shredded cheese is dry--I'm pretty sure that it's actually powdered with preserves and etc to keep it fresh and from sticking together. Yuck! I do hate to grate cheese, though, so I just enlist Marc to do it! :D

    For some reason, he likes and is really good at it.

    I'll bet this would be great with almost any preserve. And, no, I don't think it's that weird. Growing up we used to make our own "breakfast sandwices" by toasting bread, frying an egg, then you put mayo on one side and strawberry preserve on the other! You can also have a slice of cheese in there. :D

    We were never a breakfast meat household.

    You can also put a hard-boiled egg through a slicer, lay it out on bread, top with cheese, and heat in micro for a 15-30 seconds! Then, somehow wedge the preserve in under the egg (flip onto another slice of bread, for example).

    Sorry that ran longish, but I'm looking forward to trying your recipe--thanks for sharing!~

    ReplyDelete