"DESIGNS THAT REFLECT OUR
AMERICAN HERITAGE"

Welcome to my blog. I'm probably very much like all of you who love the needlearts. My life revolves around family, friends, home and all things that help to make for a more contented life. When time allows; cooking, gardening, decorating, and collecting are my joys. I look forward to sharing all of these things with you. I also hope to keep you up to date on what is going on at Homespun Elegance, in regard to the needlework designs and the "Plain & Fancy Wares" that we offer.

Wishing you "Many Happy Stitches".
Sandra

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Strawberry Goodness

SUMMER TYME AND THE LIVING IS MISERABLE
100 degrees plus in Fredericksburg, VA.  I believe it will be a record setting temperature.  Are you as ready for Fall as I am? But before summer is over and the fresh strawberries are gone, I just had to share this recipe.  A group of us gave a baby shower for my best friend's daughter recently.  She is having twins, so believe me, she needs a shower or two.  It was my assignment to do the desserts, something I truly love to do.  One of the recipes I made is a cookie called Strawberry Shortcake.  I'm pretty sure it is a Martha Stewart recipe, but because I rip recipes out of magazines and just stuff them in a chest that has drawers full of recipes, I'm not sure.  Anyway, it is beyond delicious.  If you love strawberries you must give this a try.  You won't be disappointed.

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE COOKIES
(Makes about three dozen)
12 ounces of strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 inch dice (2 cups)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 1 tbs granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt
3 ounces (6 tbs.) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375.  Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.  In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar.  Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
Using a 1 1/2" ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart.  Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes.  I set the baking sheet on a cooling rack for a few minutes before taking them off.  Then I let them cool completely on the cooling rack.  They are delicate, so be careful.  Serve the same day if possible, but they will keep a day.  I put them in an air tight container and stored in the refrigerator.  I don't know how long they will keep, because they didn't last long.   The recipe said to store at room temperature, but I put the few that were left in the refrigerator.  ENJOY!!

"WITCHVILLE" is coming along nicely.  Will share soon with another new design.

Many Happy Stitches,
Sandra

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good recipe. My granddaughters are coming this week for a visit so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn,
    Let me know if you like the cookies. I don't think you will be disappointed. Sandra

    ReplyDelete